Many corporations, including some of the largest and most well known companies in the country, engage in deliberate unfair, unlawful or fraudulent practices in order to increase their bottom line. These companies rely on the likelihood that most customers who have been cheated are too busy or uninformed to pursue their rights. As a result, the companies often reap millions in unlawful profits from large numbers of consumers, while the consumers are left with unexpected or excessive charges and defective products and services.
California, like many states, has laws designed to protect consumers from such unfair and unlawful practices and provide a remedy to those who have been harmed by them. These laws prohibit business engaging in conduct such as:
- Misrepresenting the quality, price, or characteristics of goods or services.
- Advertising products or services in a false or misleading way.
- Misrepresenting the rights and obligations involved in a contract or transaction.
- Passing off used or deteriorated goods as original or new.
- Promising a rebate, discount, or other benefit that is not given.
The effectiveness of these laws often depends upon consumers asserting their rights through class actions. The Sturdevant Law Firm has years of experience and a long record of success in enforcing these laws in class actions on behalf of consumers. We believe that such lawsuits are essential to protecting consumers from egregious business practices and deterring corporations from taking advantage of consumers.
If you think you have been the victim of an unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business practice, please contact us.